Winter seems to be a time where all we humans want to do is retreat, stay warm, stay inside and nourish our souls, but what our body is really wanting is for us to nourish our body inside and out even more than usual.
I was recently listening to one of my favourite podcasts and they spoke about how when we are cold (or hot) these days we more often than not use artificial heating (or cooling) to fix the situation, but really what we should be doing is moving our body to warm up, or eat warming foods. Feeling ‘cold’ is our bodies way of saying ok we need to heat up this vessel, and for obvious reasons heaters don’t exactly have the same effect, because they aren’t circulating blood, or oxygen, they aren’t really warming us up from the inside out at all. Though a heater or a blanket may make us feel warm, our body is craving some form of movement, or warming foods, and I believe the benefits of listening to that are more than worthwhile.
My health tips that help me get through Winter..
- If you feel cold try moving your body instead of heating it artificially, whether it’s a quick walk around the block or simply some basic stretching at home in your lounge room, your body will thank you so much more.
- Choose warming foods like soup or hot cooked meals. Soups are a known Winter food for a reason, they warm you from the inside out during the cooler days and can also be hydrating.
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times. During Winter we are less likely to drink as much water as we do in Summer, commit to making it a habit to drink it whenever you find yourself in a spare moment rather than waiting until you are thirsty.
- Regarding hydration, invest in some beautiful natural teas to further work on warming your body up from the inside out and hydrating your body. Your skin will love you for this also.
- Staying healthy isn’t just about your fitness or what you eat, during Winter I take extra care of my skin too. I make an effort to moisturise my body daily, exfoliate at least once a week to increase circulation and try to spend a few minutes in the sunshine wherever possible. Who said you can’t come out the end of Winter glowing.
How I stay motivated..
- I try my best to continue to meal prep to help keep me on track with my food intake as it can be easy to overdo it in Winter. Working out what foods you can pre-make to warm you up can be a little harder (I know from personal experience soups are a hard food to take on a commute), but continuing to eat home cooked meals will always pay off above and beyond, it’s always worth the effort and time. I’ve written a dedicated meal prep blog post series, ‘Meal Prep by Clo‘, if you are looking for some meal prep inspiration and motivation.
- Each night before I have an early morning gym session I lay out my activewear ready to put on (and pre-pack my gym bag too).
- I’ve started seeing a personal trainer two times a week which keeps me consistent with my training (read it here – ‘Why I Love Having a Personal Trainer‘).
- During my work lunch breaks I swap lunch time reading, social media scrolling or the occasional shopping down the mall for a walk around the city instead after I eat (this is great for the budget too).
- I write down my health and fitness goals for Winter. Writing things down is so powerful, especially goals. Put them where you can see them and refer to them on a daily basis to help you remember your ‘why’.
All of the above is from my own personal experience, so at the end of the day you need to ‘do you’ and what works for you personally too, but getting through Winter does take a little extra work (and love), so I hope I’ve helped to inspire and motivate you to make the most of this Winter too, and come out the end of it sparkling.
If you have any Winter health tips or motivational tricks, or already do any of the above, leave them or tell me about your experience in the comments below. Let’s get through these cooler months together.
All my love,